Sunday, 6 October 2013

WoW

Almost as soon as we arrived in EnZed people recommended that I should go to see WoW- the World of Wearable art. Our friend Emma from The Naki was also keen to go, so I booked up tickets for us and a few girls from work.

Emma and Simon came down to stay with us for the weekend, and we started the day with brunch at Floriditas. Then while us girls went to watch the matinee performance of the show, the boys occupied themselves by going rock climbing for a few hours.

I had no idea what to expect of WoW, and it's actually really hard to describe.  The website summarises it as "The world of wearable art... where the human body is a canvas.... where fashion, art and theatre collide...' It's actually a competition, where the designers create the costumes, and then they are all put together into an amazing show.  I thought maybe it would be a catwalk type affair, but it's much more than that, with dancers, acrobatics and incredible sets. Currently, WoW is only on in Wellington, but I don't think it will be long before the show becomes international. I'd love to go and watch it with my mum and sisters!

We weren't really supposed to take photos, so I only have one of my own on here.  I've taken the rest from the internet to try and show what it was all about.  There were different categories of the competition, and often the best thing was reading about what the costumes were made of.  I can't find a picture of my favourite, but it was made entirely out of keys from a computer keyboard (and called 'Qwerty Queen')



The set was constantly changing throughout the show

This one was very theatrical

These two were in the Children's section, where the theme was 'Reinterpret the tutu'.  So clever!



 Very funny to watch - looked liked a creature with two heads!
 
We had a very enjoyable few hours watching the show with a glass or two of wine, and then we caught up with the boys for dinner in the evening.  On Sunday, we went and pottered round the food market, took the others up to the viewpoint at Mount Vic, then went for a drink in the sun at The Southern Cross. Gotta love Wellington!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment